Wednesday, July 4, 2012

INTER-depedence Day

Today our country celebrates Independence Day.  You always know the importance of a holiday, because they don't move the date around so people can have Monday off.  So this holiday must be really important and probably deserves some reflection.

When I hear the word "independence", I associate it with a lot of things.  Freedom is the first thing that comes to mind.  I don't think there is a person alive who does not like to "hear" the word. "Let freedom ring" kind of sums that up.  I think about the times in my life when I have felt independent.  For example, driving solo in the car for the first time after getting my license.

We LOVE our independence so much, we will do anything for it.  We will fight for it. We will die for it.  Everyday on my job, I see an elderly population slowing losing their freedom.  Some will hang onto their independent living style, even if they are endangering their life on a daily basis. 

But what about the word "dependence"?  I think it has a bad "ring" for all of us.  Who wants do be dependent on anyone or anything?  I don't know if this is the result of an inborn desire, or of a culture that makes its very foundation on the concept itself.  I think dependency has been highly underrated, and this is why:  YOU CAN'T HAVE INDEPENDENCE WITHOUT DEPENDENCE.  Actually, you can't survive without being dependent, so it actually deserves the higher ranking.

Our culture perpetuates a myth that dependence is a "bad" thing.  We may not like it, but it is a lie to ignore it.  The truth is we live in a world...a system, or possibly a bigger system than that.  Everything we do effects it and it effects us.  We are blinded to this for some odd reason.  I am fooled by it too.

The way I live looks like I am very independent.  I have my own apartment, job, car.  I pay my own way, and when things break I can either do it myself, or pay to have it done.  Yep, I don't need anything or anyone.  I cannot believe I actually DO believe this!

Sit and consider how dependent you truly are.  If you had nothing but yourself and nature to get by, you would still be dependent upon nature. 

Don't get me wrong.  I adore that there are freedoms in this country that I can experience  no where else.  I am grateful that I have a say in what happens and not ruled by a dictator.  I love so many of the freedoms that our country continues to uphold and fight for.

 I celebrate today.  And because of today, I am able to openly celebrate the holidays of my faith that give me an even greater freedom.

2 comments: