Sunday, July 15, 2012

Games

I love games and I hate them.  I love the ones that are fun or challenging.  I think most people enjoy a good game.  The ones I hate are the ones I must use to survive in this world.  These are the real life games that everyone engages in, whether they realize it or not.


How did we learn about games?  It might have started with a simple "peek-a-boo".  So here's what happens:  Mommy is thrilled because she can make baby laugh with a game.  It is fun for the both of them!  One day, baby has learned that one way to get attention is to "play" a game.  This is not a "bad" baby.  This is just a baby learning how to get his needs met in order to SURVIVE.

As the child is exposed to the world, he or she learns all kinds of games.  In our society, most games are about competition, either one against one, or team against team.  Even in collaborative efforts, there is some type of goal to "win".  There is virtually no way to escape this playing field.  I believe this because I think life is a game of "SURVIVAL of the fittest".  This is why brains, brawn, beauty and money go such a long way.  They are all arsenal to get what you want and need in the world.  This is purely observational with no judgement implied.

As an example, let's say I am hungry.  I can beg, borrow or steal.  If I beg, I will be more successful in getting fed if I appeal to a person's sympathy...a game.  If I steal, I will have to be crafty enough to not get caught.   If I borrow, I would have to find a way of paying it back.  If I go out and get a job, I will have to have some level of skills to do that.  Perhaps I will have to learn the game of how to land a job in the competitive market place.  As a free adult, I am not free of the competition it takes to survive.  No one is.

I believe that the world has demonstrated the survival of the fittest since the beginning of time.  We can look as "humane" as we want to look, but the survival instinct may be the strongest instinct we have.  I have met "survivalists" who are very kind and care for others, but believe that their physical life is what counts the most.  They are driven to prepare for the worst by this instinct. 

I have been playing the survival game for a long time, I was just unaware of it.  To be honest, it is getting to be quite tiring.  I ponder the point of it all.  I have said that I would like my epitaph to read "What was that all about?"

One possible answer to that question...is that I am part of an evolving planet.  What I do on this earth will contribute to making the earth a better place.  That may be true, but all I can see is the human species on a path of self-destruction.  That answer does not satisfy my "soul".

MY SOUL?  What the heck is that?  We all use this word, and somehow think it means something.  What does it mean when we say "sell my soul" or "save my soul"?  I know all about selling and saving in my physical world, but what is this soul?

As humans, we relate to games.  And for good reason...to survive.  But what if there is something that is to be saved, that is more important than my physical survival?  Is there a game that I could or should be playing?  Christianity points to this "other" game.  It is very different than what we play on earth.  It actually goes against our survival instinct.  The rules of this game state that the soul is way more important and worthy than earthly life.  It declares that to save it, you must be willing to lose your physical life...which is going against our basic survival instinct.  And yet we are to cherish the life we are always willing to lose.

This game is a lot more complicated than the earth games I am used to.  The battlefield is invisible.  The strategies are complicated.  It is a game between the forces of Good and Evil.  If I am to take part in this game, I MUST choose a side.  From my own personal experience, I have found that just tinkering with this game is not a good idea.

Like I said, I am very tired of the game of survival.  It is all going to pass away anyway.  I have to ask myself, am I ready for ANOTHER game?  Especially one that I cannot see?  For me, I now see two games...the game of physical survival and the game of soul survival.

When the rules of each game come into conflict, I will have to make a decision.  I will have to decide which game is more important and respond to that.  It may be a sacrificial move...against my survival instinct.  To the world this will look insane.  I believe this may be the only game that matters.  If it is not, then we are all just "dust in the wind".  

2 comments:

  1. Good post! Did you know there's a whole emphasis in political science called game theory? Players can be individuals or whole states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Gina. Writing it made me a little dizzy. I think I am coming head on with the reality of the Great Commission. Someday, I'd like to talk to you and Marc more about this.

      Delete