Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Word Wednesday: Obedience

Does anyone really like the feelings this word elicits?  "Obey!"  It makes me feel like a dog.  I took my dog to "obedience" school.  For me, this word is associated with other words that "rub" me the wrong way.  Words like... should, must, no choice, restraint.  I can almost feel a noose tightening around my neck!  And my initial reaction is RUN!   When there is no place to run, I can dig in my heels or rebel.  ANYTHING but do what I am told.

I don't think I'm alone here.  I think something at the human core becomes threatened...FREEDOM!  Now there's a word that elicits GOOD feelings.  I associate this word with floating or flying.  The word feels light.  Whereas obedience feels heavy.  I wish I could find a synonym.  I know... how about "Respond!".  Changing the word is just a way of tricking my brain into thinking that I am the one making the choice.  In actuality I may be obeying, but the word "respond" does not trigger the same emotions as "obey".   It's like saying, "I respond to my husband's needs." vs "I obey my husband."  See what I mean about word choice?

But regardless of the words used, what is really going on here?  I remember the day that my first grandson James learned how to crawl.  There were videos posted, and everyone was celebrating his new found freedom.  The very next week, I was talking on the phone with my daughter and I hear her say, "James...no!"   It dawned on me at the time, that this was the beginning of his ongoing dilemma of freedom and "obedience"... or the way I choose to say it... freedom and "response" ability. (That's because I don't like the word responsibility either!)

So what the heck is going on here?  On the planet, no one is truly free.  We are all stuck in a body with the rules of gravity.  So in a sense, we are all "trapped" and not free.  So why is the desire to be free at our core?  We are not physically free on earth...but yet it is written in our hearts to long for it.  In my post regarding the word "perfect", I bring up the same point.  Why is it on our hearts to seek perfection? 

It is written, "For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."  Matthew 7:8.

Why do I bring this up?  Because for years I have been trying to identify what all people have in common.  I think I am beginning to understand what "seeking God" really means.  When I really observe the human species I see people longing for perfection...freedom...eternal life...to never be alone.  These desires are deeply ingrained into our DNA.  The problem is, none of them can be found on this planet.  If these things are not attainable on this planet, then I beg the question WHY DO THEY EXIST AT OUR CORE?

Obedience is not written in my core.  However, as a semi-intelligent earthling, I do know that without rules there is chaos.  (I won't go into the insanity of some the Leviticus laws of the Bible or some the laws of our country.) 

My conclusion is, there must be a reason for these deep longings.  There are commandments to be obeyed and somehow they tie into the longings.  If I "respond" to them will I find what I am longing for?  Am I willing to find out?

At this point, I have taken the first few steps of this Christian journey.  It is one of those things that you have to experience for yourself.  I will say that the kind of "obedience" required here does not have the same "look" as a well trained military school.  People all dressed the same, saying the same thing.  On the contrary, part of the commandment is to adore individuality.

It is written, "My COMMAND is this: Love each other as I have loved you.  Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."  John 15:12

And so here we have ANOTHER thing we are SEEKING at our core.  Someone to love us so much that they would be willing to die for us.   What is your "response" to that?

No comments:

Post a Comment