Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Word Wednesday: Commitment



If  I could write one book, I would call it "The Meaning of Commitment."  If I could change my childhood, I would wish to be taught the true meaning and practice of this word.

I have talked about how we all use words and assume everyone agrees on the definition.  I think that most people think commitment means to keep a promise.  This is such a narrow view, because it does not factor in the quality.  For example,  married couples may never leave or forsake their partners, and are perceived as committed.  But what is the level?  What is the quality?

Commitments can be as easy as deciding to turn left when driving.  They can be short term, or long term.  I think we all understand that kind of decision making.  What I never understood was the complexity of all commitments...and the daily decisions they are made of.  EVERY decision we make is a reflection of what we are committed to.

Actually it is as simple as this analogy:  A garden needs daily work or the weeds will take over and the flowers will die.  If we have too many gardens, there will not be enough resources to take care of them, or we will die trying.

For me, I wish I would have learned this a long time ago, because I would understand DAILY work is necessary for a quality garden... a quality life.  I would also know the impact of making a lifetime commitment, and all that entails.  I would have also learned that I cannot do it all.  And I would know with all choices, there is something I will lose.

I have enjoyed much of my life.  I have loved much and experienced so many things.  The two missing pieces were putting love and commitment together.  That is a great sadness for me.  I cannot change my past, and I won't preach.  I can only share what I have learned from my own mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment