Saturday, September 5, 2015

The "Christian" Label

Everyone has labels throughout their lifetime. I can think of at least twenty I can give to myself. Over the years they can come to define us rather than describe what we do and how we live up to the criteria of the label. Those things are dependent upon who sets the definition and guidelines of any given title.

I was a licensed "Physical Therapist" for over thirty years. Unlike other roles, such as mother or wife, I had to earn that title. And yet it still did not define if I was a so-so or gifted therapist. And through the years, my identity became very wrapped up in that descriptor. Even as I write this I feel a certain amount of pride, but in reality it says nothing about who I am. 

Image result for christ crossAlmost five years ago, I chose a new title...I became a "Christian". The guidelines weren't as difficult as being professionally licensed by a state, but there were still guidelines. They were in a book called the Bible. Besides receiving more than I can say, I also attained a new label..."Christian", which I don't take lightly and also highly dislike having another name tag I have to define, defend or explain.

The thing I hate about labels most is the stereotypes they provoke. Because we are human and need to keep things tidy in our brains, stereotypical thinking is not going away anytime soon.

Each person will react to a word differently, depending on their world view and set of experiences and knowledge that is unique to them. So any word I use to describe myself will have a different internal reaction for any given person. It is really kind of mind boggling, but if we are to truly understand each other, dropping the stereotypes and recognizing our diverse views is a first step.

I have stereotyped Christians for years and not in a pretty light. All I could focus on was these Bible-thumping, brainwashed individuals who were blinded by the insanity of a myth. At that time, my "truth" actually came from the lens of a society who fed me from a biased mass media and popular cultural norms. 

So here I am with a my new label and I really don't know what to do with it. There are so many kinds of Christians now that we have to define what type we are, and what that subdivision label means also. Or I could also go on at length about the level of commitment, doctrine followed, and on and on and on. So really the word "Christian" because of its history and complexity is extremely difficult to define.

I do know one thing. Labels do not define a person and I am not defined by calling myself a "Christian". So why do I continue to call myself one? Because to me it is the one label that actually proclaims my true identity. Nothing I have been called has truly been who I am. Paradoxically, having the label "Christian" means to me that I am no longer defined by any labels, but defined by Christ Himself. 

This crazy word "Christian" is just another word, but I call myself one because I want everyone to know this; I am not just claiming another role or job description. I put up with this silly label because if I didn't, I couldn't share something that is beyond "good news."  I use the word Christian not merely to describe my stance, but as a means to point to a profound discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment